Re: Oracle 10g Recycle Bin

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 01:32:53 +0000

joel garry wrote:
> On Dec 1, 3:23 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>> artme..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've read all about Oracle uses the recycle bin and how it purges
>>> objects when it needs space, etc.  But, is there any way to manually
>>> control that, meaning to keep the objects in there longer?  Other than
>>> increasing the size of the tablespace??
>> Perhaps I am a Luddite, but IMHO anyone with even a half decent version
>> control/change control regime has absolutely no need of a recyclebin.
>> Who in their right minds needs to undrop a dropped object?
>> Why Oracle even introduced it I cannot imagine. Sheesh. Windoze anyone?
>> Rant over.
>>
>> Palooka

> So you are saying anyone with access to a SQL prompt is not in their
> right mind? I agree! :-)
>
> I'd go out on a limb and say most places don't have decent version
> control.
>
> Even so, you might want to give developers access to their own
> environment, where they can screw up to their hearts content.
>
> I know I still take exports, mostly for user errors, but damagers are
> users too, only with the ability to override any controls. Then
> there's clumsy ol' me...

Oh, in Dev, they can have a free for all, or each developer can have his/her own schema, or whatever suits them best. Not a problem at all as far as I am concerned. But promotion from there to an environment where there are multiple testers...control is needed.

Palooka Received on Mon Dec 01 2008 - 19:32:53 CST

Original text of this message