Re: Oracle 10g Recycle Bin

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:56:04 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 1, 3:23 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> artme..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I've read all about Oracle uses the recycle bin and how it purges
> > objects when it needs space, etc.  But, is there any way to manually
> > control that, meaning to keep the objects in there longer?  Other than
> > increasing the size of the tablespace??
>
> Perhaps I am a Luddite, but IMHO anyone with even a half decent version
> control/change control regime has absolutely no need of a recyclebin.
> Who in their right minds needs to undrop a dropped object?
> Why Oracle even introduced it I cannot imagine. Sheesh. Windoze anyone?
> Rant over.
>
> Palooka

So you are saying anyone with access to a SQL prompt is not in their right mind? I agree! :-)

I'd go out on a limb and say most places don't have decent version control.

Even so, you might want to give developers access to their own environment, where they can screw up to their hearts content.

I know I still take exports, mostly for user errors, but damagers are users too, only with the ability to override any controls. Then there's clumsy ol' me...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Hand me that saw.