Re: Exporting and Importing SQL Statement Cache

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:47:55 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 1, 3:11 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:

> I think it depends on your definition of "free". There may be no
> additional oracle licence costs, but it can still cost the enterprise
> big dollars to plan, regression test and implement a version upgrade,
> which in and of itself offers little or nothing by way of new
> functionality, unless it is actually used.
>
> Just saying...
>
> Palooka

We agree, only I say moreso. :-)

Of course, Stevo said "My manager knows we need to hire a DBA but in the meantime I'm obliged to try and help." From my experience, that means the planning and regression testing is either ascribed too much cost (so put off until disaster) or short shrift (do with what insufficient resources you have, leading to pleas for help here). So, XE may not be the best way to train someone to be a DBA, but it can suggest some limited subset of problems that could quickly say "it might work" or "definitely will be a problem."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Deny, deny, deny.  Then do it.