Re: Storing time values via jdbc thin driver

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:31:09 +0000

Steve Howard wrote:
> On Dec 1, 3:33 am, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
> <vladimir.zakharyc..._at_gmail.com>
>

>> You and me know that and advocate for database platform awareness,
>> among many others. Are we successful thus far? Doesn't look like.
>> People from the other side of the fence keep creating and advertising
>> frameworks that completely hide details from programmers and force
>> them to code for the least common denominator. Is it bad? We think it
>> is, they think it isn't. We say that by not being aware of what

> I just heard in the last seven days from a J2EE developer (a really
> good one, actually) "I don't want to know SQL".
>
> I asked another J2EE guy a couple of years ago "what happens if you
> switch application programming platforms from java?" He stared at me
> for a couple of seconds and asked "Why would you want to do that?"
> LOL! I still crack up every time I think of that.

When I was advocating (about 12 years ago) a switch from Wang VS PACE to Oracle, I mentioned to my boss - the IT Director - that, given that we planned to use Oracle features, and NOT write agnostic code, it might prove expensive if we subsequently wanted to move from Oracle to a different database.

He stared at me for a couple of seconds and asked "Why would we want to do that?"

Palooka Received on Mon Dec 01 2008 - 16:31:09 CST

Original text of this message