Re: Exporting and Importing SQL Statement Cache

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:51:32 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 27, 8:31 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 7:41 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

> > to try it with your version.  But I'd still recommend upgrading.  I'd
> > even point and laugh at the management responsible for any production
> > site still using 8i.  linux, commodity boxes with lots of memory and
> > disk are cheap, you're paying for Oracle support... right?
>
> There's no shortage of places running 8.x and 7.3.x ... even if you
> may not see a lot of them yourself.

I am always curious at to why this would be the case. Were these buyers who bought the software back in 1998 without a support contract? Other than that, why wouldn't someone do it when they can do it for free?

The argument "It works, why mess with it?" I have heard in the past I think is just lame. The first time someone hits a problem without support (assuming they have a support contract), someone will lose a job, which is just wrong. Received on Fri Nov 28 2008 - 07:51:32 CST

Original text of this message