Re: process running slowly, lots of yield() calls ?

From: Andy <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:23:35 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 21, 3:04 pm, "Jonathan Lewis" <> wrote:
> Andy,
> I believe that Oracle changed some of the latch-related code
> so that (for some latches, at least) rather than sleeping after a
> failed spin, the first failure turns into a yield, putting the process
> immediately at the bottom of the run queue in a 'ready to run'
> state. So it's possible that your yields are a sign of latch contention.
> --
> Regards
> Jonathan Lewis
> Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals
> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Thank you Jonathan, that's very helpful. Am wondering, though, if this is consistent with such high CPU usage of the process in question (it saturated a processor all day long - luckily, it finished running 15 minutes before the backup) ?

When the process first started going slowly and it didn't appear to be directly inefficient SQL, I had suspected some latch/queue contention, but statspack didn't really show anything along these lines.

Thanks for all the thoughts on the above everyone :)

Andy Received on Mon Nov 24 2008 - 05:23:35 CST

Original text of this message