Re: Oracle 10g / PHP / utf-8

From: Nico <nicodenboer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:08:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jeroen,

On Nov 21, 1:01 am, "The Boss" <use..._at_No.Spam.Please.invalid> wrote:
> Make that AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8 (as stated by Laurenz).

The customer is in Holland, uses the Dutch language only. Just curious; what's the difference between AMERICA and AMERICAN_AMERICA?
And, is the country setting really important or even interesting while using the charset AL32UTF8?

> Also check these links:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/unic...@unicode.org/msg17884.html
> (+subsequent replies!)http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=343349
> where you also will find a link to a 14-page Oracle Whitepaper on Oracle's
> Unicode support.

Very interesting discussions in your links. It seems clear that AL32UTF8 is the preferred choice.
I'll read the white paper this weekend.

> HTH
>
> --
> Jeroen

Yes, you surely helped. Thanks!

To ALL: In the production environment (Oracle database server on Unix, webserver on win2003 / IIS) the environment setting NLS_LANG needed to be fixed. It now works well. For my dev workstation we did not find an explanation yet why it first worked well, then not any more and later mysteriously properly.

Kind regards,
Nico Received on Fri Nov 21 2008 - 16:08:28 CST

Original text of this message