Re: Getting that first Oracel DBA job.

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:22:56 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 17, 10:24 am, Jimmy <jimmynesb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I finished writing an article for new DBA's that are trying to get
> that first Oracle DBA job. I remember how tough it was so I thought I
> would share what I learned. You can read the article by going to:
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/firstoraclejob
>
> Let me know what you think of it, I would love to hear what other
> DBA's and even new DBA's got from reading it.

Well I read your article and think that it is pretty honest and realistic.

Nothing wrong with realizing that different IT job skills have different pay scales and at least here in the US those can be worlds apart. What many companies are paying entry level college grads doing web stuff is well ... hard to live on.

You emphasized getting real familiar with oracle installs in many various environments and unix skills. Two things I would add or emphasize related to those areas.

Unix basic skills are not enough you need to have if not mastery then at least some competency in some kind of scripting language in a unix environment. While many people prefer perl and/or python I have always done a lot with just your basic korn shell scripting ... sprinkling in some awk and sed and grep. Java may also be some kind of adequate substitute for scripting but basic korn shell scripting ability is not something to overlook.

As far as maintaining oracle software the installing just ain't enough ... patching and opatching and wrestling with metalink also needs to be thought about. However getting patchsets without a support contract ... well that's a major stumbling block.

With enough experience unfortunately for many beginners hard to obtain many of those phone interviews do become easier once you starting throwing in patchset references and laughter and swear words ( at times ).

Sorry for so many of the small minded remarks by some of the responders to this posting.

There's certainly no shortage of GOMs around here at times ( grumpy old men )! Received on Thu Nov 20 2008 - 17:22:56 CST

Original text of this message