Oracle 10g / PHP / utf-8

From: Nico <nicodenboer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:18:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi, I have installed the Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 on a Linux workstation for dev purposes, along with Apache 2 and PHP5. The production environment uses Unix for the Oracle database server, Win2003/IIS for the webserver.

Our PHP application works with UTF-8 encoded strings and actually sends SQL INSERTS in UTF-8 format to the server. When this data is retrieved, foreign characters (all characters which are not in the Basic Latin alphabet) are corrupted. It's not clear to me where I should search for the characterset related issues. It seems to be a server-side problem.

Some NLS settings:

National Language Parameter     Value
NLS_CHARACTERSET        AL32UTF8
NLS_COMP        BINARY
NLS_LANGUAGE    AMERICAN
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET  AL16UTF16
NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP     FALSE

NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA Questions:
- Is it possible to use ALTER SESSION to change the characterset?
  • What do we need to configure in order to have the database server and the client work with UTF-8?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,
Nico Received on Wed Nov 19 2008 - 12:18:37 CST

Original text of this message