Re: Request that loses indexes

From: Che Averell <averell_at_dalton-brothers.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:11:11 +0100

ddf <oratune_at_msn.com> écrit :
> You have a stored procedure which is called 3 times every second:
> 86400 seconds/day * 3 runs/second == 259200 executions per day
> and only ONE of those runs 'forgets' to use an index?

No, not just only one. When one invocation forgets to use an index, all following calls will fails also, until we recompile the stored proc.

> I, for one, question why this procedure runs 3 times per second to
> begin with. And a 'failure rate' of 1/259200 is 0.0004%. If you run
> this once per second instead of 3 times per second does this 'problem'
> disappear?

It seems not. We have deployed this application on two different environments, one for the developement, and one for integration and tests, and we have the problems on both plateforms. The first one is not as stressed as the second one. On dev, we call that proc about once per second, and on the test platform about 2 or 3 calls per seconds. Received on Fri Nov 14 2008 - 11:11:11 CST

Original text of this message