Re: anyone have a decent purge script for 11g diag directories

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:04:08 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> Not only do we have the standard .trc files there are now .trm files
> and probably various other things.
>
> Maybe I am missing some basic concept like some parameter to set or
> utility to use so that 11g databases will clean out and delete stuff
> after a certain date in the diag structure.
>
> Or perhaps oracle has that on their to-do list but hasn't gotten
> around to that yet.
>
> The idea of collecting and keeping all the diagnostic stuff around
> together is fine if only there is some method behind the madness of
> getting rid of stuff that you don't want anymore.
>
> Ideas or clarification or working 11g linux scripts would be
> appreciated! Even some words of warning about things not to get rid
> of are fine.
>
> Thanks John

I don't expect to see any automatic clean-out but that is just my impression not based on anything I've been told.

What may or may not be important, unlike with backups, is not as clear cut when it comes to trace files.

What I'd like to see is an easy way to do backup controlfile to trace and not have the file named like every other trace file (I mean the text version not just the binary). That would be a decent enhancement.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor