Re: Why Oracle does not allow rollback of DDL statements?

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:25:27 -0500

Good discussion!

TSQL did (I think that is a statement of the past) suffer from a lack of modern exception handling.
However the problem of a lost/unhandled error condition appears to be orthogonal to what is actually lost.
I.e. assume SQL Server did auto commit its DDL (would that be what you get if you do not state BEGIN TRANSACTION??) and a statement failed. The script would continue just the same without the error being handled, correct?
So I think we cannot blame transactional DDL for lacking of exception handlers. ANSI SQL/PSM does provide these handlers btw.

Cheers
Serge

PS: When porting SQL Server apps to another DBMS (be it Oracle or DB2) the problem of lost errors is a major issue in general since TSQL developers have this nasty tendency to only do error checking wherher they think an error could appear (in SQL Server). Have spent oodles of time fixing these (and writing tools to track them)

--
Serge Rielau
DB2 Solutions Development