Re: Why Oracle does not allow rollback of DDL statements?

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:10:56 -0800
> For examples, I am developing installation script to create schema
> changes
> for new release of system. If there was transaction DDL, I can write
> all the changes and in case of error, roll them back. In absence of
> transactional DDL, I have to write the script: if a schema change was
> already made do not make it, otherwise make the change.

Your premise is faulty and, it appears, you are trying to reinvent the wheel. Use CREATE SCHEMA and if it all doesn't succeed it all is rolled back.

Or perhaps you should look at the DBMS_REDEFINITION built-in package. which has been around since 9.0.1.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group