Re: Are there performancebenefits to reorganizing database-using export/import?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:12:45 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 11, 7:04 am, bdbafh <bdb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would you want to take the data out of the database?

When I've done this in the long-ago-past, it was because it was just a little bit of my time to send off an exp/imp to run overnight, versus lots of time to deal with thousands of tables, which effectively meant never get done (though the real reason often had to do with disk space - exports were being taken regardless).

Not a great reason, but if it had a demonstrable effect (and it did), then fine, even if it was really going through the entire data set just to fix a smaller portion of it. These days, there's likely going to be less of an effect, and it's not so time-consuming to spotlight problem tables/indices. Depending on your available tools and skills, of course.

It still winds up being the SQL most of the time for most of the problems, anyways. The fastest code is the code you don't run.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
“Democrats, who want to redistribute wealth to 'Main Street,' fear the