Re: Why Oracle does not allow rollback of DDL statements?

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:26:15 -0500

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> Editions are meant exactly for that but are largely undocumented.
> In the reference manual, the column EDITIONING_VIEW in the DBA_VIEWS view
> is described as "RFU". Dan Morgan has described the SQL interface here:
> http://www.psoug.org/reference/editions.html
And the moment they are fully there and pushed by the vendor the same folks dissing rolling upgrades now will claim it's the best thing since sliced bread. Always depends where the message is coming from. :-)

> How exactly is that supposed to be used, I don't know. I am not at all
> sure that transactional DDL would be a good thing. It would deprive me
> of much of the insight in other users sessions that I now have.
There seems to be an assumption that transactional DDL means temporary DDL. In real life you will see what your users are up to just fine because they will commit their DDL change (assuming you let them do DDL to begin with...).

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau