Re: Why Oracle does not allow rollback of DDL statements?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:46:59 -0600

zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I have always been surprised why Oracle does a implicit commit when
> DDL statements (e.g create table …) are executed. DDL statements
> simply write information (insert, delete and update) to data
> dictionary, so why DDL statement cannot be rolled back. Am I missing
> some thing?
>
> I was learning SQL Server few months ago and I noticed that SQL Server
> does allow rollback of DDL statements if I am not mistaken. It lloks
> like there is something in Oracle architecture which prevents rollback
> of DDL satements. Rollback of all staements should be allowed not just
> of DML statements.
>
> Appercaite your insight.

One could only hope that Oracle would adopt such a strategy (no implicit commits on DDL). Their other db engine Oracle/Rdb (OpenVMS platform only) does require explicit commits on DDL. They also have the ability with one command to rollback a complete upgrade with one command. (example running 9i upgraded to 10g need to rollback to 9i). Received on Mon Nov 10 2008 - 23:46:59 CST

Original text of this message