Re: Why Oracle does not allow rollback of DDL statements?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:45:12 +1100

zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote,on my timestamp of 10/11/2008 10:36 AM:

> I have always been surprised why Oracle does a implicit commit when
> DDL statements (e.g create table …) are executed.

It's called database consistency.
Only real databases have it.

> DDL statements
> simply write information (insert, delete and update) to data
> dictionary, so why DDL statement cannot be rolled back.

Oh no they most certainly don't just do that!

 > Am I missing
> some thing?

A lot, actually. But it'll come.

> I was learning SQL Server few months ago and I noticed that SQL Server
> does allow rollback of DDL statements if I am not mistaken.

It does not.

> It lloks
> like there is something in Oracle architecture which prevents rollback
> of DDL satements.

No there isn't. Read about the FRA.

>Rollback of all staements should be allowed not just
> of DML statements.

Actually, it should not. There is no requirement anywhere for such in any of the available standards for relational database architecture or design.

> Appercaite your insight.

yuo gto ti. Received on Mon Nov 10 2008 - 02:45:12 CST

Original text of this message