Why Oracle does not allow rollback of DDL statements?

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:36:51 -0800 (PST)

I have always been surprised why Oracle does a implicit commit when DDL statements (e.g create table …) are executed. DDL statements simply write information (insert, delete and update) to data dictionary, so why DDL statement cannot be rolled back. Am I missing some thing?

I was learning SQL Server few months ago and I noticed that SQL Server does allow rollback of DDL statements if I am not mistaken. It lloks like there is something in Oracle architecture which prevents rollback of DDL satements. Rollback of all staements should be allowed not just of DML statements.

Appercaite your insight. Received on Sun Nov 09 2008 - 17:36:51 CST

Original text of this message