Re: Does Oracle have anything like SAP Business Intelligence Accelerator?

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 11:44:27 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 9, 12:34 pm, Eric <e..._at_deptj.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2008-11-09, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Here is a quote from SAP CTO Vishal Sikka on BUsiness Intelligence:
>
> > "More recent work in business intelligence demonstrates that when it
> > comes to analytics, a great way to achieve performance improvements
> > and lower costs, is to organize data by columns in memory, instead of
> > rows in a disk-based RDBMS. Now we can perform aggregation and other
> > analytical operations on the fly within these main-memory structures.
> > Working together with engineers from Intel, our Trex and BI teams
> > achieved massive performance and cost improvements in our highly
> > successful BIA product. We are now taking this work a lot further; in
> > looking at ways to bring processing and state close together
> > elastically, and on the fly, and by looking at ways that the
> > application design can be altered so that we can manage transactional
> > state safely, and yet achieve real-time up-to-date analytics without
> > expensive and time-consuming movement of data into data warehouses via
> > ETL operations. "
>
> So it's an in-memory optimisation for the specific application, and not
> anything to do with the database at all. It's been done lots of times
> (not that specific thing, just the concept), and what usually happens is
> that in a few years database and hardware improvements catch up with
> the optimisation to the point where doing it is no longer worthwhile.
>
> But it's off-topic for c.d.o.s.
>
> There are people working with the idea of using column-wise storage for
> the physical layer of an RDBMS, but I doubt that any existing major
> product will change its entire disk-storage strategy anytime soon, so I
> guess that's off-topic here as well.
>
> E- Hide quoted text -

What is done applies to analytics and business intelligence not to a specific application. This topic should therefore be of interest to anyone interested in performance improvements in databases. I therefore do not consider it off topic, but respect your views. Received on Sun Nov 09 2008 - 13:44:27 CST

Original text of this message