Re: Does Oracle have anything like SAP Business Intelligence Accelerator?

From: <>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 03:22:51 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 8, 9:15 pm, wrote:
> On Nov 8, 8:14 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> > Serge Rielau wrote:
> > > Arrogance comes before the fall.
> > > Nestle runs arguable the biggest R/3 and SAP BW systems and it ain't
> > > growing on an Oracle tree:
> > >
> > Clearly easy to see why DB2 has been so marginalized in the marketplace
> > as to no longer be on most people's radar screens.
> > You confused the phrase "Almost all" with "All" and thus cited a single
> > exception to the rule.
> > Give Mark Townsend a call and perhaps he can get you into the Redwood
> > Shores ESL program.
> > > I doubt that almost all SAP BW installations run on Oracle.
> > No you don't. You know damned well they do. Because you know as well
> > as I do the number of Oracle licenses sold by SAP. If you don't then
> > I suggest you ask your internal IBM sources.
> > > You are off topic. The SAP BIA is server technology and not a front end
> > > cache. TmesTen has no relation.
> > No doubt you also think RAID is a hardware technology.
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> > University of Washington
> > (replace x with u to respond)
> > Puget Sound Oracle Users
> Intenetion of my  thread is not to discuss Oracle vs DB2 or SAP
> Application vs e-business suite, instead
> to discuss BI accleator technology, where SAP is implementing data
> ware house in its own non-relational database structures and how BI
> accelator  dramatically improves performance.- Hide quoted text -

Here is a quote from SAP CTO Vishal Sikka on BUsiness Intelligence:

"More recent work in business intelligence demonstrates that when it comes to analytics, a great way to achieve performance improvements and lower costs, is to organize data by columns in memory, instead of rows in a disk-based RDBMS. Now we can perform aggregation and other analytical operations on the fly within these main-memory structures. Working together with engineers from Intel, our Trex and BI teams achieved massive performance and cost improvements in our highly successful BIA product. We are now taking this work a lot further; in looking at ways to bring processing and state close together elastically, and on the fly, and by looking at ways that the application design can be altered so that we can manage transactional state safely, and yet achieve real-time up-to-date analytics without expensive and time-consuming movement of data into data warehouses via ETL operations. " Received on Sun Nov 09 2008 - 05:22:51 CST

Original text of this message