Re: Does Oracle have anything like SAP Business Intelligence Accelerator?

From: <>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 13:14:38 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 8, 3:45†pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> wrote:
> > Being Oracle Developer and DBA for many years, I was really intrigued
> > by SAPís
> > Business Intelligence Accelerator (BIA).
> > † † † † † † † † † †
> > SAP BIA is said to improve performance of
> > Adahoc queries on data warehouses by 10 to 100. BIA stores data of a
> > table using columns (instead of rows as is done in relation
> > databases). It then compresses column based data and creates indexes.
> > Many customers are using BI accelerator and find it lives to its
> > claims.
> > I know Oracle recently introduced database machine for data
> > warehouses, but BIA column based storage, compression and indexing is
> > quite different. I am trying to find parallaels in Oracle but could
> > not find any.
> I think you are confusing apples and trees. Almost all SAP installs
> are done using the Oracle database. So when one looks at SAP
> technology one is asking about an SAP technology built with an
> Oracle database as its foundation (just as all apples grow on trees).
> Thus a question such as "Does Oracle have something like this" is
> lacking in context.
> If you are asking about E-Business Suite then there is something we
> can discuss but it would be off-topic in this usenet group which is
> for server technology and I would direct you to look at Oracle's
> TimesTen In-Memory Cache.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Hide quoted text -

You are incorrect. I do not think you read any of the arcticles on BI accelartor. BI accelator bypasses Oracle all together and provides performance advanatage of 10 to 100 using a technology which does not make use of anything in Oracle. BIA stores data from Oracle tables in its own structure (not inside Oracle database at all). It uses its own indexes outside of Oracle. It uses column base storage and compression all outside of Oracle. By bypassing relational database engine and using its propierity tehniques, it provides 10 to 100 times improvement in query performance,

Any body who has interest in database performance and warehouses should read BIA articles and find fot themselves this recolutionary technology. Received on Sat Nov 08 2008 - 15:14:38 CST

Original text of this message