Re: What is an edition?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:38:54 -0800

Palooka wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:

>> I am an oracle beginner with only a few months of experience. Please,
>> gurus, help me with my questions.
>>

> ROFL. Glad you found the answer.
>
> Palooka

Some of the Editions were included in 11gR1 thought Editions were not implemented in the release.

The idea behind Editions, as I understand it, is to make it possible for someone with e-Business Suite, PeopleSoft, JDE, or Siebel, to seamlessly migrate their applications to Fusion though the technology could easily support other migration and upgrade scenarios.

Editions, in one sense, are an extension of the current Workspace Management (DBMS_WM). Editions though is substantially more powerful and will include editioning views and editioning triggers.

Note the last column in DBA_TRIGGERS

SQL> desc dba_triggers

  Name                   Type
  ---------------------- --------------
  OWNER                  VARCHAR2(30)
  TRIGGER_NAME           VARCHAR2(30)
  TRIGGER_TYPE           VARCHAR2(16)
  TRIGGERING_EVENT       VARCHAR2(227)
  TABLE_OWNER            VARCHAR2(30)
  BASE_OBJECT_TYPE       VARCHAR2(16)
  TABLE_NAME             VARCHAR2(30)
  COLUMN_NAME            VARCHAR2(4000)
  REFERENCING_NAMES      VARCHAR2(128)
  WHEN_CLAUSE            VARCHAR2(4000)
  STATUS                 VARCHAR2(8)
  DESCRIPTION            VARCHAR2(4000)
  ACTION_TYPE            VARCHAR2(11)
  TRIGGER_BODY           LONG
  CROSSEDITION           VARCHAR2(7)

and the next to last column in DBA_VIEWS.

SQL> desc dba_views
  Name Type

  • -------------- OWNER VARCHAR2(30) VIEW_NAME VARCHAR2(30) TEXT_LENGTH NUMBER TEXT LONG TYPE_TEXT_LENGTH NUMBER TYPE_TEXT VARCHAR2(4000) OID_TEXT_LENGTH NUMBER OID_TEXT VARCHAR2(4000) VIEW_TYPE_OWNER VARCHAR2(30) VIEW_TYPE VARCHAR2(30) SUPERVIEW_NAME VARCHAR2(30) EDITIONING_VIEW VARCHAR2(1) READ_ONLY VARCHAR2(1)
I expect to see this functionality to allow for taking a very large applications and selectively test and migrate to modules incrementally.

Caveat: This is just my impressions and not based on any specific briefing or knowledge of what we may or may not see in 11gR2.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor