Re: log file sync vs log file parallel write probably not bug 2669566

From: HansP <hans-peter.sloot_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 23:51:23 -0800 (PST)

> This is a wild guess, based on the 10g docs, which may or may not
> apply or work the same:
>
> The log file parallel write includes the I/O time only.  The log file
> sync includes the time the log writer has to wait for the db writer
> tell the log writer the redo is done (all those "private strand flush
> incomplete" notifications in the 10g alert log), as well as all the
> other
> overhead of the interprocess communication.
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/waitev...
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Ya win some, ya lose some.

Yes the includes waiting for the log file parallel write by the log writer and some overhead (signalling each other etc) Therefore I would expect the for the log file sync be a little more than the time for the log file parallel write but not 10 to 20 time the
time for the log file parallel write.

regards Hans-Peter Received on Thu Nov 06 2008 - 01:51:23 CST

Original text of this message