Re: Query Table Name

From: <>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:13:49 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 3, 3:09 pm, joel garry <> wrote:
> On Nov 3, 12:55 pm, wrote:
> > If you are joining one or more tables, is there a way to know which
> > table the value came from?  For example:
> > DECODE(<table_name>,value,<table_name>,value,<table_name>,value)........
> > FROM a, b, c
> > WHERE =
> >     AND =;
> > In this same query, can I get the table name the name of the table the
> > value actually came from?
> Can you give an example where this works without error?  If you are
> getting an error, care to share?  Could the value include the table?
> jg
> --
> is bogus.
> Send it home to mother in a cardboard box.

Well, basically I have 3 tables with an ID column. I want a distinct list of the ID column from the 3 tables, but I also want to know which table it came from so I can perform a delete and such......

I know I can do this in several queries and with some PL/SQL code, but I was wondering if I can get the information I need, DISTINCT(id) from all tables, plus the table name, all in one query........

The query is basically what you see above. I just am curious if I can get the table name as part of the query.......unless I need to make some complex, multi-level query.... Received on Mon Nov 03 2008 - 15:13:49 CST

Original text of this message