Re: Puzzeling error with package

From: Tim X <timx_at_nospam.dev.null>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:43:29 +1100

joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> writes:

> On Oct 30, 6:13 pm, Tim X <t..._at_nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>

>> thanks Joel. Thats close to what the DBAs and I were beginning to arrive
>> at. thanks for the reference. I'm going to look at metalink2 on the
>> weekend.
>>

> On reflection, I'm wondering if this might happen if you simply ran
> the reload procedure twice. You wouldn't see the bad log if you
> always use the same name, maybe append the process id to it...

thats possible. Good idea to append the pid to the log name.

Still doesn't make sense to me - I remain puzzled over how the variable can both be defined, but have a null value when its definition includes initialisation and it is defined as a constant. Even if it was some sort of caching issue, or something odd on the client/sqlplus side, as it is a constant varchar2, it still shouldn't have a null value.

Part of me wishes it would happen again just so that I would have a chance to track it down. . Just don't like it when my code does something unexpected that I can't explain. With my luck, it will do it again at next weeks demonstration!

thanks,

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au