Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:00:39 GMT

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:19:22 +0000, Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>NetComrade wrote:

>>> I am not going to get involved in the inevitable flame wars. But
>>> wouldn't it be sensible to hire a *competent* SQL Server DBA, and then
>>> start a two way knowledge transfer process?
>>>
>>> We all need to support the business, rather than indulge in zealotry
>>> (this remark is *not* directed at NetComrade, btw).
>>
>> We hired a consulting company.. but we still wanted to learn on our
>> own as well
>
>So your company wasn't ready to hire a decent SQL Server DBA, but was
>ready to hire a "consulting" company, who will doubtless be reluctant to
>pass anything along? Yet you clearly demonstrate that you want to
>acquire knowledge in house?
>
>Does not compute. Does your company have the same objectives as you do?
>
>Palooka

We weren't ready to hire one, b/c we didn't need a FT MS DBA. We found a consulting company that is not reluctant to pass anything along.

We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups Received on Fri Oct 31 2008 - 13:00:39 CDT

Original text of this message