Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Palooka <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:19:22 +0000

NetComrade wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:12:13 +0100, Palooka <>
> wrote:

>> NetComrade wrote:
>>> Anyone can recommend some links, some books?
>>> We support about two dozen Oracle dbs, and seems like we'll be getting
>>> a few SQL Servers to look into, and are just not read to hire a SQL
>>> DBA yet, but we'll look into outsourcing some stuff initially (and
>>> learn along).
>>> Thanks

>> I am not going to get involved in the inevitable flame wars. But
>> wouldn't it be sensible to hire a *competent* SQL Server DBA, and then
>> start a two way knowledge transfer process?
>> We all need to support the business, rather than indulge in zealotry
>> (this remark is *not* directed at NetComrade, btw).

> We hired a consulting company.. but we still wanted to learn on our
> own as well

So your company wasn't ready to hire a decent SQL Server DBA, but was ready to hire a "consulting" company, who will doubtless be reluctant to pass anything along? Yet you clearly demonstrate that you want to acquire knowledge in house?

Does not compute. Does your company have the same objectives as you do?

Palooka Received on Thu Oct 30 2008 - 17:19:22 CDT

Original text of this message