Re: Upgrading OAS

From: Aya the Vampire Slayer <ryoko_at_gatech.rmv.this.part.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:52:51 +0000 (UTC)

Robert H <sigzero_at_gmail.com> wa:
>Is there an Oracle document that gives the steps needing to be done to
>upgrade to a newer version of OAS?

This is what I have done in the past for a single instance of OAS. We did not use any kind of upgrade assistant (if there even is one) because it would've required down time and honestly was not needed for what we were using OAS for. In your case, this may differ, but not enough information was given to make that determination so I'll just tell you what we did.

  1. Acquire a new server machine (despite the bosses being tight-wads).
  2. Install new version of Application Server on the new, clean server machine.
  3. Configure new installation, taking advantage of whatever new features are available if applicable, cleaning up all the old crap config and useless files and other stuff that old servers tend to accumulate.

All we had was some apache configuration stuff, SSL configuration stuff, a bunch of static files on the server's filesystem, a smallish java app, and some DAD configurations -- no items in an oracle proprietary format like is normal for a DB install.

4. After that, unleash the new server upon QA and/or some test users.

5. After testing phase, when we're ready to replace the old server, we simply switch the relevant domain(s) to point to the new server's IP.

6. Keep the old server up in the background (unused) for a few weeks until we're satisfied that there won't be any problems. Then we decomission the old machine and reassign it to make coffee or whatever.

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator