Re: Is it safe to rebuild an index during an RMAN full backup?

From: joel garry <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:45:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 22, 1:22 pm, wrote:
> My database is used most heavily between 06:00 and 20:00.
> An RMAN full backup runs nightly from 20:00 to 23:00.
> If I execute command "alter index <name> rebuild online;" during the
> backup will that cause a problem?
> Thank you,
> Bill

RMAN is smart enough to check if Oracle blocks are fracturing during the copy, so no.

Rebuilding indices and reading data blocks/writing backups tend to be I/O intensive operations, so maybe yes.

I've seen RMAN alone push a fragmented unix I/O buffer over the edge, YMMV. jg

-- is bogus.
Friendly helpful google.