Re: Oracle Expressions

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:11:03 -0700 (PDT)

On 22 okt, 16:31, NHM <Nuno.GodinhoMa..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, i am having a doubt considering what is a proper oracle
> expression.
>
> http://www.acs.ilstu.edu/docs/Oracle/server.101/b10759/statements_100...
>
> In the select referene, there is a number of times where the expr
> statemnt appears.
>
> I am trying to figure out what an expr is:
> is it simply a sequence of Varibles, Constants, function and Operators
> that are evaluated to a result.
>
> Or can you include more sophisticated things like If statemnets?
>
> For Example in the "Description of the illustration
> model_rules_clause.gif"
> you have got a vector index being assigned an Expression.
> Could this expression include if statements?
>
> If so... i don't seem to be able to execute it with them.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Reading that URL, I ran into
http://www.acs.ilstu.edu/docs/Oracle/server.101/b10759/expressions001.htm#i1002626

Did you see it?
You are advised NOT to use thirdparty websites providing Oracle documentation.
You have no guarantee it is current.

Oracle has a DECODE statement, using which you can simulate IFs, and a CASE statement.
The CASE expression is listed on the URL I referred you to. Looks like you did too little effort to read the doc.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA