Re: Oracle Expressions

From: sybrandb <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:11:03 -0700 (PDT)

On 22 okt, 16:31, NHM <> wrote:
> Hi, i am having a doubt considering what is a proper oracle
> expression.
> In the select referene, there is a number of times where the expr
> statemnt appears.
> I am trying to figure out what an expr is:
> is it simply a sequence of Varibles, Constants, function and Operators
> that are evaluated to a result.
> Or can you include more sophisticated things like If statemnets?
> For Example in the "Description of the illustration
> model_rules_clause.gif"
> you have got a vector index being assigned an Expression.
> Could this expression include if statements?
> If so... i don't seem to be able to execute it with them.
> Thanks in advance.

Reading that URL, I ran into

Did you see it?
You are advised NOT to use thirdparty websites providing Oracle documentation.
You have no guarantee it is current.

Oracle has a DECODE statement, using which you can simulate IFs, and a CASE statement.
The CASE expression is listed on the URL I referred you to. Looks like you did too little effort to read the doc.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA