Re: Oracle Model Operator - Question

From: NHM <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:25:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 22, 2:25 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> NHM wrote:
> > My problem, is that normally: not all cell combinations are defined...
> > for example (person X, Year Y) may have no data registered in the
> > database. (in olap you'd say in the fact table)
> > Anyway, I don't care about it... I'd like the return table to give me
> > all the cell combinations, even if they were null.
> ANY can be used in cell references to include all dimension values
> including NULLs.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users

That i know, i read thorougly the documentation. The problem is not Any including Nulls or not.

The problem is that Any doesn't include any pairs that did not exist in the Relation.

A relation R contains { (Peter, 1987, whatever 1), (John, 1999, whatever 2) }

If you write a Model On Dimension (Name, Year) And write a rule:
result(Any, Any) = 'Updated'

This will result int the following result:

New R = { (Peter, 1987, Udated) , (John, 1999, Updated) }

That is to say: Model is not helping in data densification. That I Wanted to get with Any, Any Iteration was: {(Peter, 1987, Updated) , (Peter, 1999, Updated), (John, 1987, Updated), (John, 1999, Updated) }

... Anyway, i will be able to achieve an equivelent result if instead of using mode i use the Partioned outer join. Received on Wed Oct 22 2008 - 09:25:37 CDT

Original text of this message