Re: Combining snapclones with DataGuard

From: Aya the Vampire Slayer <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:07:41 +0000 (UTC)

sybrandb <> wa:
>And you will take over and answer all RTFM questions? Because 99.9
>percent of all questions here ARE of the RTFM type.
>That would be good joke!

You know you don't have to reply to those types of posts. (seriously)

But since I know you can't help yourself, I'll write you a post that you can just paste/read in every time you reply to one of those moronic/lazy people who post here so frequently. I'm being serious here, please, please use it.

0. Please read the newsgroup charter: 1. Please post your full Oracle version (e.g., via "select

   banner from v$version"

2. Please post your Oracle server's operating system and version
3. Please use to help you find your answer
4. Please use to help you find your answer
5. Please use to help you find your

6. Please use to help you find your answer

(optional, if you're feeling particularly generous) 7. Here are some keywords to search on: <word1>, <word2>, <word3>

>Also I'm not aware you have been elected to be the moderator of this
>forum, so I will do as I see fit, and ignore your 'Holier than thou'

I find your flaming of regulars on these newsgroups to be rather "holier than thou". Like that one recent thread with Palooka. I've only been lurking here for a few months but even I recognize Palooka as a regular.

>Apparently you don't know what you are talking about. The majority of
>posters here is not prepared to do ANY research prior to posting.
>They don't read the documentation, they don't search Google, they
>don't search OTN, they don't search Usenet, they don't search Asktom.

Just use the canned response above instead. Train them to be better posters. Google's abomination of "google groups" has made new people not understand the implicit "rules" by which usenet abides since times long past. Which unfortunately leaves it upon the rest of us to train them.

>Have you never noticed how Tom Kyte treats those people? There is
>really not much difference between me and him.

I do not read Tom's site, but if it involves being rude, that's not really going to help. All being rude does is start flame wars and make people never want to come back (which may be your goal, who knows?). But if you want the readership of these newsgroups to increase, you're going to have to work with the morons that are posting out there now and train them to become better posters. It sucks, but the wilds of the internet today involve multitudes of ignorant people with bad posting habits.

>I have been answering question here for 12 years, and I have seen the
>level of the post see go down... and down... and down....
>Don't chastize me for being grumpy, I'm more than entitled to it.

There is no entitlement or reasonable excuse for bad behavior. Especially if you want things to change for the better. It's nice that you've stuck with the groups for so long despite 99.9% of the posts now being worthless ones, though. Your insight is very valuable when you chose to provide it. Seriously.

>All of my career I had to deal fulltime with incompetent people and
>abysmal databases.

I would think that's pretty common for anyone who works in the IT sector (the former) and maintains oracle databases (the latter). I have recently had the fortunate luck of being allowed to actually *fix* one of our horribly implemented databases that had an absolutely terrible schema design.

"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator