Re: Combining snapclones with DataGuard

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:05:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 21, 11:13 am, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
> On 21 Oct, 16:07, jj3run..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > It must be exhausting being so rude continuously!
> > "Apparently you don't know what you are talking about." -Sybrand
>
> > Feel free to leave or remain silent at any time.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Regardless of what you might think of Sybrand's interpersonal skills,
> personally I would be loathe to see him leave the group.  He is quite
> right that far too many people treat the group as a replacement for
> doing any of their own research, reading or, sometimes, even
> thinking!  There does become a point where this becomes extremely
> tedious and wearing; valuable posts get lost in the signal to noise
> ratio.
>
> I have seen Sybrand give some excellent advice overr the years and I
> would hate for that to change.
>
> -g

I disagree. I have seen this newsgroup go down over the years, and seen good posters leave, precisely *because of* the hate and vitriol that is spewed about by certain posters.

Most of the time the doco or a google search gets me where I need to be much faster. However, it is literally laborious to me to watch newbie after newbie berated for things about which I can't imagine they have any knowledge.

The one that always kills me is the complaint they didn't read the newsgroup charter. After one particular complaint a couple of years ago, I went out and searched for it, and I found it on Joel Garry's site after searching the web for half an hour! In all fairness, since then, Joel himself will point posters to that charter, but for a given newbie, how likely is that to be seen when it is isn't a daily FAQ post on the group itself?

If I went out to a newsgroup on woodworking, and didn't see a FAQ/ charter, but wanted to ask a question regarding using a table saw, am I going to spend half an hour on the web looking for its charter?!!

A quick review shows we have seen 30 new threads in the last four days. That shouldn't be too time consuming to work through. When I do read this group, I spend about ten minutes doing it and cover pretty much everything. More often than not, though, I am repelled by the rudeness of responders and don't come back for a month or two.

I just think there are much bigger things to worry about in the world than whether someone top posts, or whether they have read enough to satisfy my inclination to help them, etc. I'm not a missionary, just a DBA. If you don't like the question, pass it by, problem solved. Received on Tue Oct 21 2008 - 12:05:07 CDT

Original text of this message