Re: Combining snapclones with DataGuard

From: <jj3runner_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:00:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 21, 12:45 pm, bhonaker <bhona..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 11:16 am, jj3run..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > Regardless of what you might think of Sybrand's interpersonal skills,
> > > personally I would be loathe to see him leave the group.  He is quite
> > > right that far too many people treat the group as a replacement for
> > > doing any of their own research, reading or, sometimes, even
> > > thinking!  There does become a point where this becomes extremely
> > > tedious and wearing; valuable posts get lost in the signal to noise
> > > ratio.
>
> > > I have seen Sybrand give some excellent advice overr the years and I
> > > would hate for that to change.
>
> > > -g
>
> > We'll agree to disagree! :)
> > I for one like reading posts where someone even asks "How do I
> > login?" ... it's so basic, but it's a good reminder of basic skills
> > and advanced skills. If anyone doesn't want to respond, they don't
> > have to. I'd be happy to, but the negative energy is such a turn-off.
> > Jen
>
> I have to agree with you, the negative vibe of this forum is
> pervasive.  You have to understand though...it is beyond the laws of
> physics for Sybrand to not respond.  I too am a long time lurker, and
> the depth of Sybrand's bitterness and hostility never ceases to amaze
> me.  However, none of us will ever understand the terrible, terrible
> burden he has to bear answering all these stupid, stupid questions.
> Personally, I just speak out loud my question and the Oracle
> documentation opens up exactly to the right place.  I have never had
> trouble finding information in the Oracle docs as they are so few and
> so concise that its like, well, taking candy from a baby.
>
> I post this knowing I will likely have to look elsewhere for help
> after he reads this, but that's ok, as he obviously doesn't like
> helping either end of the spectrum with his advice, newbies OR paid
> professionals - "So it now appears you are asking to assist you for
> free, what you get paid for. My-my!  Please in the future note this
> upfront and I won't bother to respond."  Who DOES he like helping?  In
> fact, I think the only things he truly likes are spewing vitriol and
> suffering fools.
>
> "Have you never noticed how Tom Kyte treats those people? There is
> really not much difference between me and him."  I should sue you
> Sybrand, this comment made me spit up my coffee and nearly ruined my
> keyboard.
>
> Ok, I feel better now.  Returning to lurker mode.

I'm so glad I've started this feel-good session today! :) Please Ave-the-Vampire ask your question. Throw it out there, if we can help, we will.
I find the documentation good to a level. You can find info on topic #1 or topic #2. But you need real-world experiences/expertise sometimes to see how #1+#2 work together! For example, the original OP here, ... they wanted to know about snapclones AND DataGuard. I think Oracle documentation discussing the 2 TOGETHER will be rather limited!!!

Jen Received on Tue Oct 21 2008 - 12:00:55 CDT

Original text of this message