Re: Combining snapclones with DataGuard

From: <jj3runner_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 07:30:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 21, 9:05 am, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 okt, 14:02, jj3run..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > What also is missing, in addition to the items Sybrand listed, is the
> > > context.
>
> > > For a DR site I wouldn't touch snap clones as doing so one loses some
> > > of the most critical components of Data Guard Oracle brings to the
> > > table.
>
> > > Snapclones have their place but it isn't in DR. A DR site must be not
> > > just a 100% clean duplicate of production it must also be logically
> > > consistent. Something Snapcloning can not guarantee as snapping will
> > > efficiently replicate corrupt blocks.
> > > --
> > > Daniel A. Morgan
> > > Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> > > University of Washington
> > > damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> > > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > Group,
>
> > As a long, long, long, time lurker, this is a horribly impolite
> > thread. I wish the posters here would ease up and try to share
> > knowledge instead of trying to be as mean as possible. Perhaps some of
> > us are new to the Oracle world, and others have been around for a few
> > years or decades, it should not matter. Try to help each other and
> > leave your egos at the door.
>
> > When I read the original posters question, I interpreted it as a
> > generic discussion. He/She (yes, there are actually females on here!)
> > did not provide versions or platforms. Nor did Ari Kaplan! It's a
> > generic discussion, how is DataGuard used in conjunction with
> > Snapcloning (in an effective manner)?
>
> > Yes, we all know that using old versions of the database, old
> > networking capabilities, old OS's, old keyboards, old mice, old .....
> > (you get the idea) will cause problems. Just assume we're talking
> > generic.
>
> > To the originial poster: at least you apologized and attempted to
> > explain yourself (albeit, somewhat sarcastically).
>
> > To those with the egos: Try to not be so rude, you may be new to the
> > Oracle or professional arena ... I have a feeling you'll go further if
> > you relax and try to help. But most importantly, feel free to not
> > respond if you have nothing constructive to add. Silence definitely
> > can be golden!
>
> > $Jen- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>
> > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -
>
> Actually no one was rude, except the OP.
> There is no such thing as 'generic answer' without including a
> version.
> Also no one here keeps track of the versions people are using.
> People posting here more and more misuse this forum as a source of
> free support where they don't have to go through the chores of
> Metaclunck or the new bloatware variant 'My Oracle Support'
>
> Hopefully you will follow your own recommendation, and we won't see
> similar tripe of you again.
> I recommend you look up the word 'volunteer' in a dictionary, and
> [...]

My goodness, such hostility in your posts. This board would benefit from you eliminating your own "tripe" as you call it. (or from you leaving the board entirely.) I've read time and time again posts from you filled with hostility and snotty comments. You bring nothing but bad energy to this board and the Oracle community. Feel free to either stop responding to every post with your snotty attitude ... OR better yet, leave the board entirely!

The OP posted a very kind question seeking clarification (in the most recent post.) And yes, there are GENERIC questions/answers in Oracle! Example: Can export/import be used to move a table from 1 database to another? You can just answer YES .... there are ALWAYS circumstances where it won't work (character sets, platforms, etc.) ... but the answer is YES. Just leave it at that. Don't be such a rude responder. If all you can do is be rude, DON'T ANSWER!!!!! Is that too difficult for you? Received on Tue Oct 21 2008 - 09:30:00 CDT

Original text of this message