Re: OEM agent problem ping Ser1(OEM) - > Ser2 -> Ser3(DB)

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 05:47:36 -0700 (PDT)

On 21 okt, 13:50, "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 12:17 pm, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 21 okt, 12:57, "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > hi All,
>
> > > I have this strange problem, but anyone please help me in it.
> > > I have three server...
> > > server1 can ping server2 and server2 can ping and connect on server3..
> > > now I have OEM grid control installed on server1 and database install
> > > on server3..
> > > is there any way I can monitor server3 with grid control.
>
> > > Thanks
> > > Steve
>
> > The question is irrelevant as 'ping' uses a specific TCP/IP port,
> > which Grid Control doesn't use.
> > So it is quite possible you are unable to ping the server, and are
> > able to access it, because relevant ports are open and the ping port
> > isn't.
> > Obviously when the relevant ports can't be accessed directly by
> > server1, you won't be able to monitor the database server from server1
> > directly.
> > telnet server3 <port number> and telnet <server1> portnumber in some
> > cases should be able to tell you that.
> > The only way out is to install an extra Oracle Management Server on
> > Server2, and the OEM repository on Server1.
> > In that case the relevant ports should be open between server2 and
> > server3.
> > Now, as I don't know the port numbers by heart, this question ends up
> > with you reading.... TADA... the one thing you tried to avoid: THE
> > DOCUMENTATION.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Thanks for reply Sybrand..
> But I did find how to work in a simple scenario in the documentation.
> Can u please advice anything else in my scenario, because i didn't
> find anything related to this in the documentation.
> Once again .. I do have port open on ser3 for ser2 and on ser2 for
> ser1. Link is there, but I am not getting how to use it.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I can only suggest you reread my initial response. All is there. I directed you to the *relevant* ports.
I showed you how to test the ports using Telnet. Also apparently you don't properly understand Oracle's management infrastructure.
It requires a repository, and a management server. Those don't need to be on the same system, and it is not a problem to set up extra management servers using that one repository. If you fail to understand that, I can not help you, as I am not on your site.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA