Re: OEM agent problem ping Ser1(OEM) - > Ser2 -> Ser3(DB)

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 04:17:35 -0700 (PDT)

On 21 okt, 12:57, "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> hi All,
>
> I have this strange problem, but anyone please help me in it.
> I have three server...
> server1 can ping server2 and server2 can ping and connect on server3..
> now I have OEM grid control installed on server1 and database install
> on server3..
> is there any way I can monitor server3 with grid control.
>
> Thanks
> Steve

The question is irrelevant as 'ping' uses a specific TCP/IP port, which Grid Control doesn't use.
So it is quite possible you are unable to ping the server, and are able to access it, because relevant ports are open and the ping port isn't.
Obviously when the relevant ports can't be accessed directly by server1, you won't be able to monitor the database server from server1 directly.
telnet server3 <port number> and telnet <server1> portnumber in some cases should be able to tell you that.
The only way out is to install an extra Oracle Management Server on Server2, and the OEM repository on Server1. In that case the relevant ports should be open between server2 and server3.
Now, as I don't know the port numbers by heart, this question ends up with you reading.... TADA... the one thing you tried to avoid: THE DOCUMENTATION.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA