Re: Combining snapclones with DataGuard

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:39:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 20, 12:17 pm, macdba321 <macdba..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 3:07 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
>

> > Comments embedded.

> > I saw no such quotes in the article, nor any in the PowerPoint
> > presentation.  Perhaps I missed something ...

> > > Perhaps it's my mistake, however, I thought it was a generic topic
> > > ("How an organization would make use of both DG and snapclones") It is
> > > not specific to Mr. Kaplan's article/presentation.
>
> > Only from storage vendors trying to make a sale.
>
> > > ]My specific version
> > > of my database/SAN is definitely not applicable.
>
> > To the contrary it certainly IS applicable, as different releases of
> > Oracle implement changing DataGuard functionality, and some of that
> > newer functionality may be necessary to implement this configuration
> > about which you inquire.
>
> > > However, Mr. Kaplan's related info can be found:http://searchstoragechannel.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid9...
> > > andhttp://www.laoug.org/Download/07q1t2s3.ppt
>
> > > Apologies if this info was needed to help put the question into
> > > context.
>
> > > If yourself and/or anyone else can shed some light on why or how an
> > > organization would effectively use snapcloning and DG simultaneously,
> > > I would appreciate it.
>
> > And we'd appreciate you including your Oracle release information, as
> > it's far more important than you think.
>
> > > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> Let's assume I'm on the latest & greatest version of 11g on the latest
> & greatest release & patchset for Windows 2003 64-bit. The SANs are
> the latest & greatest EMC enterprise-class SANs. I'm using the version
> of Data Guard that comes with the latest & greatest 11g for Win 2003
> 64-bit.
>
> On slide #12 of Mr. Kaplan's presentation he lists the pros of DG.
> "PROS:
> Synchronous mode enables quick recovery with no loss of data
> -Alternate database is already up and running and in sync
> -Works well in conjunction with SnapMirror (array-based replication)"
>
> My question is regarding clarification of the last line of "pros" on
> slide 12. It's hard to imagine Ari being a storage vendor trying to
> make a sale, so what might he be referring to?

His email is in the link you provided, why not ask him? Not being sarcastic here, I've found him to be quite helpful in the past - that enthusiasm and helpfulness is why he's such a successful guy, IMO. I'm a member of LAOUG, but I've been too busy to go to any meetings for a while, I'm now sorry I missed the one you linked to.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18236