Re: Combining snapclones with DataGuard

From: macdba321 <macdba321_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:17:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 20, 3:07 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> Comments embedded.
> On Oct 20, 12:46 pm, macdba321 <macdba..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 20, 1:01 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> I saw no such quotes in the article, nor any in the PowerPoint
> presentation.  Perhaps I missed something ...

> > > Shedding light won't be possible.
> > > You assume we know your version and you don't provide the URL to Mr.
> > > Kaplan's article, which might not have been read by everyone and/or
> > > the less than 10 people here answering questions.
> > > If you provide that little information, you might consider not posting
> > > your question at all.
>
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> > Perhaps it's my mistake, however, I thought it was a generic topic
> > ("How an organization would make use of both DG and snapclones") It is
> > not specific to Mr. Kaplan's article/presentation.
>
> Only from storage vendors trying to make a sale.
>
> > ]My specific version
> > of my database/SAN is definitely not applicable.
>
> To the contrary it certainly IS applicable, as different releases of
> Oracle implement changing DataGuard functionality, and some of that
> newer functionality may be necessary to implement this configuration
> about which you inquire.
>
> > However, Mr. Kaplan's related info can be found:http://searchstoragechannel.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid9...
> > andhttp://www.laoug.org/Download/07q1t2s3.ppt
>
> > Apologies if this info was needed to help put the question into
> > context.
>
> > If yourself and/or anyone else can shed some light on why or how an
> > organization would effectively use snapcloning and DG simultaneously,
> > I would appreciate it.
>
> And we'd appreciate you including your Oracle release information, as
> it's far more important than you think.
>
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

> David Fitzjarrell

Let's assume I'm on the latest & greatest version of 11g on the latest & greatest release & patchset for Windows 2003 64-bit. The SANs are the latest & greatest EMC enterprise-class SANs. I'm using the version of Data Guard that comes with the latest & greatest 11g for Win 2003 64-bit.

On slide #12 of Mr. Kaplan's presentation he lists the pros of DG. "PROS:
Synchronous mode enables quick recovery with no loss of data -Alternate database is already up and running and in sync -Works well in conjunction with SnapMirror (array-based replication)"

My question is regarding clarification of the last line of "pros" on slide 12. It's hard to imagine Ari being a storage vendor trying to make a sale, so what might he be referring to? Received on Mon Oct 20 2008 - 14:17:50 CDT

Original text of this message