Re: Combining snapclones with DataGuard

From: macdba321 <macdba321_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:46:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 20, 1:01 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:17:41 -0700 (PDT), macdba321
>
> <macdba..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >I read quotes from Ari Kaplan explaining how enterprises if possible
> >should (if possible and appropriate) combine the use of snapclones
> >(for SAN-to-SAN replication) with DataGuard.
>
> >I am confused how an organization could use both of these though. If I
> >am using snapclones, how can I also use DataGuard? What use would DG
> >provide? (Assuming that I am already snapclone'ing the database to the
> >secondary site.)
>
> >Can anyone shed some light for me?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> Shedding light won't be possible.
> You assume we know your version and you don't provide the URL to Mr.
> Kaplan's article, which might not have been read by everyone and/or
> the less than 10 people here answering questions.
> If you provide that little information, you might consider not posting
> your question at all.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Perhaps it's my mistake, however, I thought it was a generic topic ("How an organization would make use of both DG and snapclones") It is not specific to Mr. Kaplan's article/presentation. My specific version of my database/SAN is definitely not applicable. However, Mr. Kaplan's related info can be found: http://searchstoragechannel.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid98_gci1262946,00.html and
http://www.laoug.org/Download/07q1t2s3.ppt

Apologies if this info was needed to help put the question into context.

If yourself and/or anyone else can shed some light on why or how an organization would effectively use snapcloning and DG simultaneously, I would appreciate it.

Thanks. Received on Mon Oct 20 2008 - 12:46:45 CDT

Original text of this message