Re: LOB Segments

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:06:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:55:49 -0700, joshua.olson wrote:

> My question is when you archive/export/delete/etc. that table does that
> also affect the LOB segment? So, in other words if you archived it
> would that also archive the LOB segments? My guess is that it does, but
> I just want to be sure.

Export and import do affect LOB fields. A word of caution, though: LOB fields are the most botched part of Oracle RDBMS. Those fields waste enormous quantities of space, their internal storage is not well documented and, if you're not careful, they can ruin performance of your applications. Oracle is still using LONG columns in the data dictionary, despite their obsolescence.