Re: expdp dump file and CLOB column

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:37:09 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:03:27 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:09:13 +0200, Maxim Demenko wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:09:13 +0200, Maxim Demenko wrote:
>>
>>> What is Oracle version you are speaking about?
>> 10.2.0.4
>>
>>> I did some very basic
>>> tests on 10.2.0.4 and couldn't see anything similar to compression. I
>>> assumed, compression rate should be (doesn't matter what compression
>>> method is used) highest for most redundant data - in my testcase
>>> dumpfile size was the same for clobs filled either with dbms_random or
>>> with blanks. What size return sum(dbms_lob.getlength(lob_column)) ?
>>> Does it nearly correlate with 45Gb ?
>> No, it doesn't:
>> 1 select sum(dbms_lob.getlength(segment_text))/1048576 MB 2* from
>> news_segments partition(data0544)
>> SQL> /
>>
>> MB
>> ----------
>> 8060.59686
>>
>> It correlates more closely with 9GB.
>>

>>> If not, i would assume a massive space overallocation ( for whatever
>>> reason) during import.
>> Yes, that's probably it. I will attempt the normal export, no "dp"
>> version, and see what happens. That's probably the dirty little secret
>> of data pump: waste humongous amounts of space. I am not surprised that
>> Oracle Corp. decided to venture into storage business.
>>
>>> Another points to
>>> consider could be of course the charactersets on both source and target
>>> database and the original size of lob segments in the source.
>> Both character sets are the same.
>
> I just tried with normal export, with the same result. It seems that
> oracle grossly overallocates LOB columns in 10g. In other words, LOB
> columns are enormous space wasters. In my case, it wasted +45GB of space
> to store just 8.5GB of data. Yeah, I understand now why Oracle Corp.
> went into storage business. LOB columns are their greatest booster.

When doing this did you store your LOB in an LOB segment or in-line in the table? Did you use the UTL_COMPRESS? If so which compression quality? With ASM?

There is no question but that the explosion in database size points to storage vendors doing rather well. But from where I sit it seems Oracle, the database group under Andy Mendelson, is doing a lot to minimize storage requirements.

But Oracle Corp. is not in any way of which I am aware in the "storage business." Where did you get this idea?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor