Re: RAC or Large SMP...?

From: <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:36:59 -0700 (PDT)

> And one argument I didn't make but you reminded me of ... try to
> perform a rolling upgrade on an SMP box.
>
> It may not be perfect with RAC but I can guarantee you it is
> impossible with a single server.

However my understaning is that the rolling upgrade capabilities with RAC are very limited.

For example could you do a rolling upgrade of a major patch (e.g. upgrade from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.3)..?

Could you do a rolling upgrade of a cumulative security patch (CPU)...? You are right that it is impossible to do a rolling upgrade on an SMP box which means that you will have downtime, but that downtime will be much shorter than the equivalent RAC downtime simply because there are more homes to patch. Especially when you consider that you may also have to patch the CRS home, the ASM home and the multiple database homes. Received on Sun Oct 12 2008 - 18:36:59 CDT

Original text of this message