Re: Policy on Oracle Versions and Patches

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:30:42 -0500

> 1. What version/patch level should be used for implementing brand-new
> application assuming that:
> - Is it critical
> - Application vendor didn't provide any recommendation regarding
> version
> - Schema is simple, it does not use any advanced features
> - Main priority is stability and absence of unplanned outages
>
> It seems to me that the safest option would be to use version that has
> a terminal patch set which is 9.2.0.8. Yes I know that it is
> "unsupported" but does it really matter?

> When starting anew, I'd go with the latest release available and test,
> test, test, find bugs, report them to the vendor, to Oracle, and get
> them fixed before you go live.

If I followed this suggestion, I would have gone to 10g when it first came out, and not go live until all the bugs are fixed. That would be a good idea if I could convince the mangement to schedule our go-live dates according to Oracle's patch dates, or better yet become Oracle's beta test site. Received on Sat Oct 11 2008 - 09:30:42 CDT

Original text of this message