Re: Policy on Oracle Versions and Patches

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:22:32 -0500

<ca111026_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> What would be your policy on Oracle versions and patches in an
> environment
> with 500 - 1000 databases and 20 - 50 databases per DBA?
>
> Let me clarify the question. Oracle states that Patch Sets include
> only
> bug fixes and no new functionality. However reality is a bit
> different.
> For example:
> 9.2.0.1 contains new functionality, fixes for 9.0.1 bugs, and new bugs
> 9.2.0.2 contain some new functionality that didn't make it into
> 9.2.0.1 (for example related to Streams),
> new "behaviour", more bug fixes, and a few new bugs
> 9.2.0.8 (terminal patch set) mostly has bug fixes, although some bugs
> are fixed only in 10g

Well, 9.0 and 9.2 are 2 different releases. Of course new features can be introduced in the later release.

> So the questions are:
> 1. What version/patch level should be used for implementing brand-new
> application assuming that:
> - Is it critical
> - Application vendor didn't provide any recommendation regarding
> version
> - Schema is simple, it does not use any advanced features
> - Main priority is stability and absence of unplanned outages
>
> It seems to me that the safest option would be to use version that has
> a terminal
> patch set which is 9.2.0.8. Yes I know that it is "unsupported" but
> does it really matter?
> When you have "supported" hardware HP/Sun/IBM/EMC will replace broken
> part typically withing 24h. For "supported" version Oracle may produce
> patch in a month or two.

Yes, only go for the terminal releases. Forget about whether it is supported or desupported. Oracle wants you to upgrade to the latest ASAP.

> 2. Let's say you implemented new application using 10.2.0.3 as per
> vendor recommendations.
> During implementation the application functionality has been
> extensively tested.
> Would you automatically apply 10.2.0.4 even if nothing seems broken?
> Extensive
> application testing isn't possible.

That would depend on whether you will introduce new application functionalities. The best thing to do is to review the bug list.

> 3. Let's say you are running 10.2.0.3 and your database is hitting
> specific bug causing instance crash. Oracle Support tells you that
> there is one-off patch for this bug
> and it is included in 10.2.0.4 Patch Set. You are not able to conduct
> extensive application testing.
> Your ORACLE_HOME does not have any other one-off patches.
> Would you apply one-off patch or Patch Set?

Yes. Received on Fri Oct 10 2008 - 19:22:32 CDT

Original text of this message