Re: Minimizing downtime for 9i to 10g upgrade

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:24:36 +0800

Palooka wrote:

> Connor McDonald wrote:
> > Chuck wrote:

> >> Hey I'm embarassed to be supporting versions that are so old! But a lot
> >> of times the version of the application dictates the version of the
> >> database, and other times the business is never willing to take down
> >> time to perform upgrades. In this case it's been a little of both.
> >
> > We've done just that exercise recently on a largish (4tb) but low volume
> > database. Used a standard backup plus archive recoveru to get a second
> > copy of the 9i db, then threw a trigger on every table which created a
> > queue of outstanding transactions whilst upgrading the copy to 10g.
> >
> > then applied the transaction queue to the 10g database until "switch
> > over"...the original 9i database becomes a trivial failback database.
> >

> Just curious. What happened to the transactions between your first
> backup and creation of the triggers?
>
> Palooka

I paraphrased. There was a few "shutdown" and "alter system suspends" etc to establish some points of data consistency during the process.

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."