Re: ORA-12899: value too large for column with Oracle Patch

From: Tim X <>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:29:31 +1100
Message-ID: <>

Aya the Vampire Slayer <> writes:

> <> wa:
>>I tried to recreate your issue on HP-Itanium. The only place
>>I got the error, it was legitimate. Is there any chance your input
>>data has changed?
> <snip>
> Perhaps this is a character set problem. The OP had a .it email, but the
> text in the OP looked German (??). Either way, probably requires a
> multibyte characterset to represent and maybe that got hosed in the
> upgrade somehow?

This is what I was wondering. However, I've never had to work with many different character sets, so I'm a bit out of my depth. I would certainly be looking to make sure NLS settings are consistent with what they were under the 9i platform. I'd also check any clients.

I think the best advice so far is Daniel's advice to put in some auditing and logging of values and see what patterns are found. Without some real data to examine, you are just shooting in the dark - you may get lucky, but......


P.S. while it may seem tempting, I would be very skeptical of any theories that tended towards labelling the problem as an Oracle bug. concentrate on environment settings and the application as I think they are far more likely candidates.

tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
Received on Wed Oct 08 2008 - 03:29:31 CDT

Original text of this message