Re: RAC or Large SMP...?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:14:58 -0700

mccmx_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>> How big can you scale x86?
>> About this big:http://www.oracle.com/solutions/business_intelligence/exadata.html
>> Which seems to be large enough for Amazon.com.

> Hi Daniel,
>
> thanks for the link. I was more interested in how high you could go
> with non-RAC x86. i.e. how much processing power can you get in one
> server without clustering/RAC.
>
> I need to know the physical limits of single server x86 in order to
> help make the decision between SMP/NUMA and RAC.
>
> Thanks

If the point isn't x86 but rather running Linux then look at IBM's zSeries servers. You can have up to 54 IFLs with each IFL equivalent in horsepower to between 10 and 30 x86 cores.

zSeries run zLinux with the best virtualization software, zVM, you can find anywhere. To find out more about Oracle on zLinux contact barry.perkins_at_oracle.com.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor