Re: ORA-12899: value too large for column with Oracle Patch

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 06:38:50 -0700

Arne Ortlinghaus wrote:
> After having upgraded from to in our programs on
> different sites we have sporadic errors of the following type:
> ORA-12899: value too large for column
> (actual: 13, maximum: 7)
> In all cases the code for filling the fields is in Update triggers, the
> field lengths are correct. In this case in the update trigger there is
> the row
> :NEW.adcabrrzdatumstornierung := SYSDATE;
> and adcabrrzdatumstornierung is a date field.
> The error is rarely but be had it in different parts of the program. It
> has happened also to a char(14) field.
> Before upgrading we had not this type of error. Does anybody has a
> similar problem?
> Arne Ortlinghaus
> ACS Data Systems

If what you are saying is that occasionally your trigger is trying to stuff 13 bytes into a 7 byte bucket this issue is more likely something other than the patch you applied. Put in exception handling and write the offending values to a table so you can view them.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group