Re: San-Based replication VS DataGuard replication

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:27:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 4, 5:27 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > Sounds like you are just making up stuff.
>
> Sounds like you weren't in San Francisco a week ago sitting in on the
> excellent briefing Mark Townsend gave the Oracle Ace Directors. <g>
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

I don't think this is an Oracle issue. Oracle is just like an other app (I know it hurts to hear that) when it comes to stuff being physically written to physical disk.

The disk subsystem controls what is physically written when and where. Oracle merely twiddles its thumbs until it gets a return code from the storage subsystem. The subsystem can do what it likes in the meantime. If it hasn't made it to both subsystems, it will return an error condition to the application doing the write (Oracle in this case).

I know for a fact that EMC SRDF does it this way, as we use it. Received on Sun Oct 05 2008 - 15:27:53 CDT

Original text of this message